QBE says 2017 could be costliest in historyOctober 4 2017 by InsuranceAsia News Staff
QBE says this year will be the costliest year in the history of the global insurance industry.
As such, the insurer expects its earnings to be dented by rising disaster claims following the earthquakes in Mexico, hurricanes in the Atlantic and Cyclone Debbie that hit Australia earlier this year.
Last year, QBE paid US$1.06 billion in disasters and large individual claims, while posting a net profit of US$844 million.
For this year, the bank warned of a significant rise in claims in its emerging-markets operations, including medium-sized claims in Asia.
QBE said it had increased its 2017 allowance for large individuals and disaster claims to US$1.75 billion.
It expects disaster claims to impact pre-tax earnings by about US$600 million.
In 2011, insurers paid out an inflation-adjusted US$137 billion in disaster claims, making it the worst-ever year for the global insurance and reinsurance industry.
- July 12
Seasonal flooding led to fatalities and significant damage in parts of India, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Vietnam.
- July 11
Four companies are offering a six-month waiver to those affected by the torrential rains in western Japan.
- July 9
The rain is forecast to continue for the next couple of days and many landslide warnings have been issued.
- July 5
The multi-sector alliance aims to generate US$1bn in additional funding for flood resilience.