HDFC seeks to acquire Apollo MunichFebruary 21 2018 by InsuranceAsia News Staff
India’s biggest mortgage firm, HDFC, has launched talks into the possibility of acquiring Apollo Munich Health Insurance.
This comes as HDFC has adopted a strategy that aims to pursue growth through acquisitions, people familiar with the matter said.
HDFC, which is also one of the contenders to buy Start Health and Allied Insurance, has set its eyes on Apollo, which also has a common joint venture partner with HDFC — Ergo, which is part of the Munich Re group.
Back in January of last year, Munich Re announced transferring the primary health business to Ergo.
Based on the present composition details, Apollo holds 51% in the joint venture with Munich Re holding the remaining 49%.
HDFC officials have already met multiple times with members of Apollo to discuss a potential stake purchase, which is still in the preliminary stages.
- June 22
Costs in Asia are set to rise significantly as affordability is threatened by ageing populations and sedentary lifestyles.
- June 8
Asia is suffering from an epidemic of diabetes, but products aimed at reversing diagnoses are entering the market.
- April 27
The Chinese insurer has taken part in a US$150 million funding round for Innovent Biologics.
- April 26
Of the 1,389 health insurance societies, more than 60% are expected to end the fiscal year in the red.