Chin Feng set to leave Aon Hong Kong — sources
July 23 2021 by Andrew Tjaardstra
InsuranceAsia News (IAN) understands that Chin Feng, a corporate director at Aon Hong Kong, is set to leave the broker in September.
Before joining the global broker in the Special Administrative Region (SAR), Feng (pictured) was previously Hong Kong and Greater China chief executive for Allianz Global Corporate Specialty (AGCS).
An Aon spokesperson confirmed to IAN on July 22 that Feng will leave the firm and is set to relocate to China and join his family in Shanghai.
Aon is currently in the process of gaining regulatory approval from a number of antitrust regulators in the region– including in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore — for its merger with global broking rival Willis Towers Watson (WTW). China and Taiwan have already approved the deal, while such a process doesn’t need to be undertaken in Hong Kong.
The biggest hurdle for the completion of the deal is with an objection from the US Department of Justice (DoJ). In June, the DoJ initiated a lawsuit to block the transaction citing several major competition reasons in the US market — including higher prices and decreased quality — as to why the merger should not go ahead. Traditionally the second major player (Aon) in a particular US market or industry has difficulties merging with the third (WTW).
Although the DoJ noted Aon and WTW have agreed to proposed divestitures — most notably that of Willis Re to Gallagher — to appease other regulators such as the European Union’s antitrust authority, the complaint alleges these “proposed remedies are inadequate to protect consumers in the US”.
In a joint statement responding to the DoJ’s action, Aon and WTW said: “We disagree with the US DoJ’s action, which reflects a lack of understanding of our business, the clients we serve and the marketplaces in which we operate.”
An initial Washington court date has been set for a trial on November 18. For more IAN insight and analysis on the ongoing broker mega merger, see here.
-
Aon Malaysia confirms double leadership promotions
- May 20
Country CEO Neelay Patel confirms the promotions of Ming Hui Lim and Ram Nandrajog.
-
Aon appoints Tokio Marine veteran Max Hirai as Japan CEO
- May 20
He was most recently Asia CEO for Tokio Marine Holdings in Singapore.
-
Seadrif taps Richard Poulter to lead sovereign asset and fiscal empowerment facility
- May 19
He was formerly chief risk officer at the Pacific Catastrophe Risk Insurance Company.
-
Zurich Australia appoints Giles Crowley, Sarah Powell to newly created leadership roles
- May 19
Insurer names Crowley as head of customer and distribution management for APAC, with Powell named head of international broker and customer engagement.
-
Sedgwick | Investing in people is shaping the future of loss adjusting in Asia
Sedgwick Asia says it is ready to meet the evolving challenges of Asia’s dynamic insurance markets.
-
PartnerRe | Understanding ageing in APAC: why perception, planning and protection don’t always align
Ageing is shaping finances, family dynamics and insurance needs of the caregiving ecosystem, but current product propositions and underwriting frameworks are not keeping pace with protection needs, finds PartnerRe survey.
-
BHSI | D&O in Asia in 2026: navigating geopolitics, insolvencies, and digital crackdowns without breaking the bank
A soft market presents organisations with opportunities to strengthen resilience, although the abundance of capacity is unlikely to persist.
-
QBE | Elevating customer experience, humanising claims: QBE Asia’s ‘Solutions in a Box’
Vastly improving turnaround times and personalising service delivery, QBE Asia’s award-winning, end-to-end bundled claims solutions is a game-changer for the insurance industry.