AIG’s McMurdo to join Steadfast MGA as CUO personal lines
August 20 2021 by InsuranceAsia News
High net worth (HNW) insurance specialist David McMurdo has been appointed chief underwriting officer of personal lines for Steadfast Underwriting Agencies, according to an August 20 company announcement.
McMurdo (pictured) will start work on September 6 and will take on responsibility for growing Steadfast Underwriting Agencies’ personal lines footprint nationwide. He has worked in the insurance industry for over 18 years and was most recently head of AIG Australia’s private client group.
McMurdo started his career in broking in Melbourne before moving to the UK where he transitioned to underwriting in the high net worth segment for Allianz and Zurich. McMurdo joined AIG in 2011 after returning to Australia, where he has taken on several leadership roles and most recently led the firm’s HNW portfolio in Australia.
Steadfast said in the same announcement that its fully owned MGA Mansions of Australia has purchased the renewal rights to AIG’s Australia home and contents insurance portfolio developed for HNW and ultra-high net worth individuals across Australia. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
As part of the acquisition, QBE will replace AIG as the insurer of the Mansions executive insurance product from October 5, 2021.
“[McMurdo] is a highly accomplished professional whose career has spanned the management of products, underwriting, and sales teams. His experience and skills will be a tremendous asset to our company as we continue to scale our business with brokers,” said Simon Lightbody, chief executive of Steadfast Underwriting Agencies, in the announcement.
Jason Clarke, chief customer officer of commercial lines at QBE, added: “We’re very proud of our long-term relationship with Steadfast and are pleased to be providing capacity for Mansions executive insurance product from October 5 as it looks to strengthen its presence in the HNW sector.”
Three other AIG executives will also be joining the Sydney-based Mansions team as part of the deal, the statement added.
-
Gallagher Re confirms Carlos Grijalva as APAC head of cyber
- May 22
Hong Kong‑based Grijalva’s move to join the reinsurance broker was first reported by InsuranceAsia News last month.
-
Anthony Hong joins Howden as head of surety for Asia
- May 22
He joins after six years at Aon in Singapore and South Korea.
-
Munich Re taps Gavin Maistry to lead APAC MEA L&H as Daniel Cossette retires
- May 21
Singapore-based Maistry was most recently the reinsurer’s global chief actuary for life and health.
-
Howden Australia hires Marsh veteran Rebekah Scott as financial lines partner
- May 21
Sydney-based Scott has been working at Marsh since 1998, including at JLT from 2003 to 2019 prior to its acquisition by Marsh.
-
Sedgwick | Investing in people is shaping the future of loss adjusting in Asia
Sedgwick Asia says it is ready to meet the evolving challenges of Asia’s dynamic insurance markets.
-
PartnerRe | Understanding ageing in APAC: why perception, planning and protection don’t always align
Ageing is shaping finances, family dynamics and insurance needs of the caregiving ecosystem, but current product propositions and underwriting frameworks are not keeping pace with protection needs, finds PartnerRe survey.
-
BHSI | D&O in Asia in 2026: navigating geopolitics, insolvencies, and digital crackdowns without breaking the bank
A soft market presents organisations with opportunities to strengthen resilience, although the abundance of capacity is unlikely to persist.
-
QBE | Elevating customer experience, humanising claims: QBE Asia’s ‘Solutions in a Box’
Vastly improving turnaround times and personalising service delivery, QBE Asia’s award-winning, end-to-end bundled claims solutions is a game-changer for the insurance industry.